Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Christmas Sharking

This Christmas I did something every 29 year old boy dreams of; shark fishing from a kayak! This boy had been planning on it ever since his family decided to rent a beach house for Christmas.

The technique is simple enough: buy a bucket of frozen chum from wal-mart, and a bag of sardines. Paddle out a quarter mile or so, throw out an anchor, tie a rope around the chum and let it drift behind the boat. After just a few minutes shark should be swarming around the boat. I caught a couple but was starting to get seasick, so brought one to shore for my nephew to see.

The shark pictured is a spiny dogfish, only a few feet long, and I caught it at Garden City Beach. A guy who works at the pier advised that the big ones (6 footers) are away for the winter. So maybe I'll try again sometime in warmer weather... or maybe not...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home